SCS Staff, PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY --- HIGH IMPORTANCE ---
The purpose of this communication is to let you know that all districts throughout our state are changing email systems this year. All 173 school districts have been under one major email umbrella provided by Microsoft (Office 365). Moving forward, there will now be 173 email umbrellas with districts having much more local control. This is good news!
Gmail services have never been an option for school districts, UNTIL NOW. Gmail offers a powerful set of features. Advantages in Google include the integration our teachers and students can do together by simply having a valid Gmail address. Google Classroom, Google Suite, Maps, YouTube, Photos, and many other Google-powered features will now be easily used and shared among staff/students.
SCS will be moving to Gmail on Thursday, January 25th, 2018.
Here are some things you'll need to know and we've been assured already:
· Email address will not change for students nor staff. Example: firstname.lastname@example.org even in the Gmail system.
· Access to Microsoft products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) will not change. Those will continue to be programs we include on student/staff devices and that our tech staff will help support.
· Access to Google Suite products (docs, sheets, calendar, drive, presentations, etc.) will be available as they are now, but easier to access/integrate with Gmail.
· All Mail (including mail folders you may have set up), all contacts, and all calendar data will be migrated from current system to Gmail (tech staff will do this in the background). This includes both staff and student mail.
· All Administrator(s) Outlook client users can still use Outlook if you choose to do so. All content will be Gmail but it can flow through the Outlook client.
· All MAC client users will be required to update their profile for email functionality.
· The Global Address List (GAL) will no longer be an option for anyone in the state after everyone gets moved. That feature allows us to easily look up other users in Kentucky. That became too large a monster for anyone to manage.
· If you are a OneDrive user (storing files and data in Microsoft's cloud), we will be communicating and working with you on migrating your data from OneDrive to Google Drive/File Stream. OneDrive will no longer be part of our system nor accessible. You MUST transfer all data in OneDrive to Google Drive.
· Both Android and iPhone users will set up a new mail profile once it's migrated. Both phone platforms do this very easily with Gmail. We will be sending out directions on how to set this up and assisting as needed.
Our goal is to make this as seamless and easy on the end user as possible. We know change is not easy, but we hope this change will be relatively painless in nature.
Here are some additional reminders and discoveries we've made:
· Students will also be migrated, please inform them in your classrooms to prepare them for the move as well, and the different look.
· What does Gmail look like? If you've not seen it or don't have a personal account, there are tons of very short training videos that Google publishes. Click on the following links to find out how email looks, calendar works, and contacts operate.
· We will update our SCS Website link to the email as well using gmail.com
· If you have specific email rules set up, you'll likely have to set those rules again in the new email system.
· If you have email signatures set up, those won't be migrated. However, it will be an easy process on the other side to add that back in. Look for further communications on that.
· If you have people you frequently email outside of SCS, be sure they're in your contacts in the Microsoft system we're in now. We can migrate those so that you'll easily be able to email them in the Gmail system. Click here for more.
Our tech team is working with several partners to migrate our email system (along with contacts, calendar, and email folders) to Gmail on Thursday, January 25th, 2018. While migration occurs that day, we will likely not have access to email. Migration processes will begin and continue until all information is moved. We will contact you after the process is complete that email should be flowing again in your new Gmail box. As a reminder, your email address is not changing. After we migrate, we will need all users to access email via the web until we can be sure everything is working well. I'll supply everyone that link with an email later in the week.
We will also provide support to you, starting next Monday, January 29th on setting your mobile phones up for receiving email.
Do you have OneDrive files that are important to you?
If you have no idea what OneDrive is, you likely don't need to read on. OneDrive is a cloud storage component like Google Drive. Some of you have files on OneDrive you'd like saved/moved. OneDrive, as you now may know it, won't exist for you after the Gmail move. Therefore, you'll need to move the content on your OneDrive to Google Drive. The process is not difficult. Click here for information on how to do that. Thanks in advance for your attention to this detail before the migration happens.
Click on the link below outlining how to migrate your OneDrive Files to Google Drive. If you need any further assistance or have any questions, please let us know.
I'll be sending out reminder communications preparing and giving further details with updates on the migration.
Also, I’ll be sending out an email next Tuesday, January 23rd with the link to Gmail. Please note this link may not be functional until our migration is complete.
Thanks so much for your willingness to forge new territory in our state!